Happy January everyone! Whether you’re taking part in Veganuary or simply aiming for a cleaner diet this month, we’ve got you covered. From delicious recipes to insightful tips, we’ll guide you into incorporating more veggies into your meals for a healthier and more nutritious start to the year.
6 creative ways to add more veggies to your diet
1. Veggie noodles
You can transform vegetables like courgettes and sweet potatoes into colourful noodle-like spirals with a spiralizer. Toss your veggie noodles with your favourite stir-fry or pasta sauce to create a low-carb and veggie packed dish! Make sure you add some protein into your meal as well, if you're going vegan for the month, tofu and nuts are a great protein source.
2. Vegetable stuffed omelette muffins
If you love a savoury breakfast or you want a light afternoon-snack, omelette muffins are a must. In each muffin you can add a number of different vegetables from peppers to mushrooms to spinach, the list is endless. You can make them the night-before and either eat them cold or reheat them the next morning for a quick-on-the-go meal. Don’t forget to add them to our food-jars to keep them warm for up to 6 hours.
3. Cauliflower pizza crust
This might seem a little weird to some people, but you cannot kick it until you try it right?
- 1 cauliflower (blitzed in a food processor)
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare by heating the oven to 180 degrees and remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut off the stalk.
- Blitz half the cauliflower in a food processor until finely chopped, similar to rice and then repeat on the other half.
- Add all the cauliflower to a heatproof bowl and cover with cling-film. Microwave for 6 minutes, or until softened.
- Pour out the cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and leave to cool. Once it has cooled down, gather the tea towel together and squeeze to remove any of the water.
- Add the drained cauliflower to a bowl and add your ground almond, eggs and oregano and any extra seasoning you would like and mix in. Once the mixture has formed, you can add it to a greased baking tray and spread it out to make your pizza base.
- Cook for 16 minutes, or until golden brown. Next add your tomato base and any other extra toppings you want and return to the oven for an extra 5-8 minutes.
Again this might seem a little odd, but if you love having smoothies for breakfast or for a snack, you can add extra veggies into your smoothie for those extra vitamins. Vegetables like kale, cucumber and avocado blend really well into a smoothie, enjoy!
5. Crispy kale chips
If you’re a snacker like us, it can be good to have a mixture of healthy snacks at hand at any time. For the ultimate crispy veggie snack, you can create crisps out of kale. You simply toss your kale leaves with olive oil and your favourite seasoning and bake until they become crispy. It will take you minutes to make and it might become your new favourite snack of choice.
6. Stuffed peppers
If you’re looking for a new meal to add to your dinners, you could try stuffed peppers. They are so versatile because you can add anything you like into them! Personally, this is our favourite stuffed pepper recipe:
- 4 red-peppers
- 2 pouches of rice (choose your preferred flavour)
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 200g feta cheese
- Use a knife to slice off the top off the pepper so you can remove the seeds and the stalk. Once that is done, you can add them to a baking tray or air-fryer for 15 minutes so they start to soften and cook.
- Whilst the peppers are cooking, you can microwave your rice pouches so they cook. Once cooked, add the rice to the peppers and spoon in and half a teaspoon of pesto into each pepper.
- Divide the feta cheese between each pepper and return to the oven for an extra 10 minutes so the cheese can melt.
If you’re looking for a more eco-friendly and sustainable way to add extra veggies into your diet, then Oddbox could be the answer. Oddbox is on a mission to help tackle food waste by rescuing the “too odd” and “too many” fruits and vegetables directly from the farmers to your doorstep. They will deliver your vegetable or fruit box overnight to minimise emissions, ensuring that you will wake up with a box filled with farm-fresh produce. What could be better than that?
For an exclusive saving, visit Oddbox and use our code MYCITRON to get 50% off your first order*!
*This offer will only apply to new Oddbox customers 1st order and excludes the following boxes: XS fruit and veg box, Fruit booster boxes and add ons. Our code will be valid until the 31st March 2024.
Happy January everyone, and we hope we have given you some new and exciting ways to add veggies into your everyday meals.