Level up your picnic game
Are you ready to take your picnic game to the next level? In this blog, we're bringing you some of the best picnic food ideas from around the world. Whether you're a fan of Mediterranean flavours, Japanese cuisine, Indian spices, or good old British comfort food, we've got something for everyone.
And of course, we couldn't talk about picnics without mentioning Citron's functional and sustainable mealtime products. So whether you're heading to the park, the beach, or your backyard, grab your Citron gear and let's get picnicking!
Show Stopping Mediterranean Mezze Platter
If you're a fan of Mediterranean flavours, this mezze platter is sure to delight your taste buds. Packed with fresh vegetables, creamy dips, and crunchy pita chips, it's the perfect dish to share with friends or family on a sunny day.
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1 cup olives
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pita chips or bread for serving
- Wash and slice the vegetables and arrange them on a large platter.
- In separate bowls, place the hummus, tzatziki, olives, and feta cheese on the platter.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley and mint on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to make a dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and dips. Serve with pita chips or bread.
To make it easier to transport and serve the different components of the mezze platter, consider using Citron's portable food jars or plates. You can pack the hummus and tzatziki in separate food jars, and place the olives and feta cheese in the separate compartments. The sliced vegetables can go in a larger plate or bowl with a lid, and the pita chips or bread can be packed in a reusable snack bag. With Citron's sustainable mealtime products, you can enjoy your picnic without creating any waste.
Easy & Delicious Japanese Bento Box
Looking for a fun and convenient option for your next picnic? Look no further than the Japanese bento box! Packed with a variety of colourful and flavourful components, it's the perfect way to enjoy a satisfying and nutritious meal on the go.
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1/2 cup edamame beans
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced avocado
- 4-5 slices of teriyaki chicken, tofu or salmon
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Cook the sushi rice according to package instructions and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, and rice vinegar to make a dressing.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the edamame beans, sliced carrot, and sliced cucumber.
- Place the cooked sushi rice in the bottom of a bento box or food jar.
- Arrange the edamame, carrot, and cucumber mixture, sliced avocado, and teriyaki chicken or tofu on top of the rice.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of the bento box.
- Add strips of nori seaweed on top for a finishing touch.
For an even more convenient picnic option, try packing your Japanese bento box in one of Citron's bento boxes or food jars. These products are designed with multiple compartments to keep your different components separate and fresh. Plus, they're made from sustainable materials and are reusable, so you can feel good about reducing waste while enjoying your meal.
Indian Samosas For Lunch Box
Looking for a finger food that's perfect for picnics? Look no further than Indian samosas! These delicious, crispy pastry pockets filled with savoury potatoes and spices are sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next outdoor gathering.
- 1 package of frozen pastry sheets
- 3 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Thaw the pastry sheets as per the package instructions.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle, add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the mashed potatoes, frozen peas, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt to the pan. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry sheets and cut them into triangles.
- Take a spoonful of the potato filling and place it on the triangle-shaped pastry sheet.
- Fold the pastry sheet into a triangle, sealing the edges with water.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying. Once the oil is hot, add the samosas and fry until golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.
For easy transportation, we recommend using Citron's reusable cutlery sets or food jars to pack and eat your samosas on the go. Enjoy!
You might also want to read:
Ploughman's lunch is a classic British picnic food that originated in the 1960s. It's a simple yet satisfying meal that typically includes a selection of cheese, bread, pickles, and other accompaniments.
- Crusty bread or rolls
- Cheddar cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Pickles (such as gherkins or pickled onions)
- Chutney or relish
- Apple or other fresh fruit
- Hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Slice or crumble the cheddar cheese.
- Cut the crusty bread or rolls into slices.
- Arrange the cheese, bread, pickles, chutney or relish, and apple or other fresh fruit on a platter or in a container.
- If desired, peel and slice the hard-boiled eggs and add them to the platter.
Pack the Ploughman's lunch in Citron's portable backpacks or insulated food jars to keep the food fresh and at the right temperature.
For more healthy recipes, make sure to check our our other recipe blogs!