There is something rather magical about going on a winter walk, especially when there is frost on the floor and it's close to Christmas. During the winter season, especially as it gets closer to Christmas, you may be catching up with more family and friends. Wrapping up and going on a winter walk is just one of those British things that we love to do, but you have to be equipped with the right products to keep you cosy. So lace up your winter shoes, pop on your warmest scarf, zip up your coats and pack your Citron backpack with all the winter warming essentials this winter.
It’s always useful to have a backpack where you can store a few extra jumpers and perhaps a pair of gloves, in case it’s colder outside than you think. Citron has a range of different backpacks for you to choose from. From thermal insulated backpacks which are perfect for storing food in, to backpacks that come with multiple different compartments which are great for school or work we have a range of bags for you to discover. Our most popular backpack for children to carry has to be our thermal roll-up bags that are made from PET recycled plastic bottles, making it highly sustainable and lightweight! You can also fit two 500ml water bottles into the side pockets, so you will never forget to stay hydrated! For adults or older children, we have backpacks that are also made from PET recycled plastic bottles, and come with padded shoulder pads and handles for comfort. These backpacks will fit more in them than our roll-up bags, so if you want to take more food or more clothes with you, then this is the bag for you.
2. Travel mug
First things first, every frosty walk should be paired with a hot drink. Whether you’re a fan of a good old English cup of tea, a latte or a creamy hot chocolate - having something to warm you up whilst you walk and talk is a must. To help reduce the amount of plastic waste and money you spend on hot drinks on the high street, why not purchase a reusable travel mug? 2.5 billion coffee cups are thrown away each year in the UK, and only 0.25% of them are actually recyclable. Citron’s sustainable travel mugs are made from stainless steel, meaning you can use them as many times as you like and you can save money on takeout drinks!
After your winter walk, you can simply pop your travel mug into the dishwasher (without the lid) and it will be sparkly clean in an hour or two. To get you into the Christmas spirit, here are two of our favourite seasonal and high street dupe drinks, to help you save on money and the environment!
- 150ml milk (you can opt for plant-based if you like)
- 50ml double cream
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- ½ orange zested
- A pinch of ground ginger (add more if you like)
- A small pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 drops of vanilla extract
- 50g dark chocolate
- Add your milk, cream, sugar, orange zest and your spices into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Once your mixture has simmered for a couple of minutes, you will want to pass the mixture through a sieve to remove the orange zest.
- Once you have removed the orange zest, pour the warm milk back into the pan (but not on the heat) and stir in your vanilla and chocolate until the chocolate has melted.
- If the drink isn’t as hot as you would like it, you can return it to a low heat and simmer for a few minutes and then you can add it to your Citron travel mug.
- 200ml water
- 200g caster sugar
- 80g toffee
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 double espresso
- 250ml milk (you can opt for plant-based)
- Whipped cream for the topping (optional)
- Add your water, sugar and toffees to a saucepan and pop it in a medium heat until boiling.
- Once it has reached boiling point, reduce the heat and leave it to simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat for it to cool.
- Once cooled you can add the syrup to a container where you can store it in your fridge for up to a month.
- Add 2 tbsp of your syrup to your Citron travel coffee mug, make up your espresso and add it to your mug. Next mix the syrup and coffee together until it is combined.
- Next heat up your milk in the microwave or in a saucepan over the heat.
- Once your milk is hot, add to your travel mug and stir.
- You can add whipped cream and a drizzle of your syrup on top if you like.
3. Food jar
Would it really be a walk if you didn’t have something to snack on as well? Whether you just need something light to have on your walk, or you want a larger meal - Citron food jars will become your best friend this winter and we are about to tell you why! Both the 250ml and 400ml food jars are made from stainless steel and the triple-wall insulation and leak-proof lid means the heat from your food will stay trapped, keeping it warm for up to 6 hours. If you also know someone that would love one of these insulated jars as a Christmas present, you can personalise them for free, giving that special extra touch this Christmas.
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- Fresh fruit like raspberries or blueberries
- Syrup of your choice
- Sieve your flour into a bowl and make a small well where you will add your egg and half of the milk.
- With a whisk, mix the ingredients together until it becomes a thick and smooth batter. Once smooth, gradually add the rest of the milk and mix together.
- Add a small amount of butter or oil to a frying pan to coat the whole of the pan.
- Once heated, spoon in a tablespoon of batter at a time to the pan, until you have multiple mini-pancakes cooking away. Cook each side of the pancake for around 30 seconds, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the pancakes to your small food jar, add your syrup on top and your chopped fruits and pop in your bag!
- 900ml or chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- 50g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp of sweetcorn (frozen or canned)
- 2-5 mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 spring onions shredded
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli (optional)
- Pour your stock into a saucepan and pop your chicken, chopped garlic and ginger into the stock as well. Boil for 10 minutes with the lid on, and then lower heat for another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Take the cooked chicken out of the stock and shred it into pieces using two forks.
- Once shredded, add your chicken back into the stock, alongside the noodles, sweetcorn, mushrooms, spring onion and soy sauce.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Add extra seasoning and chilli flakes into the soup if you like and pour into your food jar.
- Voilà you have a warming bowl of chicken noodle soup!
4. Cutlery set
Cutlery is just one of those things that we often forget about, which is why you need a dedicated on-the-go set. Citron cutlery sets come with a silicone casing, meaning you can just pop them into your bag without the cutlery getting dirty along the way. Don’t worry, we have thought of everyone in the family as we have three different types of cutlery sets which are suitable for all different ages.
3-piece silicone set
If you have an 18+ month old that loves their food, you might notice that they like to take charge of their own meal time by feeding themselves. Most cutlery can be tricky to hold onto, which is why we have created a 3-piece cutlery set with silicone handles, meaning they can grip onto the spoon or fork more easily. These sets, like all of our cutlery can be put into the dishwasher, phew!
Stainless steel set
Citron’s most popular cutlery set is the 3-piece stackable set that comes with a silicone case, making them great for on-the-go meals. The cutlery is made from food-grade 304 stainless steel, meaning you can use and re-use them for many years to come! The silicone casing itself is made from BPA-free material so you don’t have to worry about that either.
The last cutlery set that Citron has created is made from 100% organic and plant-based materials. The set comes with an extra spoon and fork, just in case one mysteriously goes missing whilst you’re on your winter walk and is made from shatterproof material!
The Citron team hopes that we have inspired you to put on your coats and scarfs this weekend and head out on your next adventure with family or friends. Make sure you sign up to our newsletter so you don’t miss out on any great deals this festive season!