Get ready for Pancake Day
If you forgot that Pancake Day is tomorrow, you still have time to nip out to the shops and either buy ready-made pancakes or you could challenge yourself this year and make pancakes at home. If you are going down the cooking route, there are hundreds of recipes you could choose from, which can get a little overwhelming. To make your life a little easier, you can follow either one of our tried and tested pancake recipes that we swear by.
Whichever you decide to do, one of the most important parts of Pancake Day for most people is the toppings! Do you normally go for the classic lemon and sugar option, or are you more adventurous with your toppings?
Gluten-free pancake recipe
For a delicious and filling pancake recipe that you can enjoy for breakfast or for your dessert, we have our oat pancakes you can try. A lot of pancake recipes will contain flour which has gluten in it, however as these pancakes are made from oats instead, they are 100% gluten-free and tasty. To replace the flour, you will use blended oats to make the bulk of your mixture. To make your oat flour, simply blend your oats in a food processor for a couple of seconds until they become finer. Make sure you don’t over blend them, the oats shouldn’t be as thin as flour, there should still be some texture to the mix. For even fluffier pancakes, you can swap the milk out for buttermilk or let the milk sit with the oats for longer than 10 minutes!
Time: 20 minutes
Serves 2 people
- 130g of oats
- 1 egg
- 235 ml milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Butter for cooking the pancakes
- Toppings of your choice
- Blend your oats together in a food processor for a few seconds until the oats break up into finer pieces
- Next add your milk to the oat flour and let it sit for 10-minutes.
- Once you have left the mixture to sit, add all of your other ingredients in and heat a pan to cook your pancakes in.
- Add roughly 2 tablespoons of pancake mixture to the pan and start cooking, depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to cook 3 pancakes at a time.
- Once your pancakes start to bubble and are golden brown on the bottom, flip them over and cook the other side.
- Serve with any toppings you like – from strawberries and Nutella to the classic lemon and sugar, we love them all!
5 ingredient pancake recipe
If you want an easy pancake recipe, you have come to the right place! From start to finish, you can make your pancakes within 10 minutes and they only require 5-ingredients. One of those ingredients is banana, have you ever tried making banana pancakes before? Not only are they delicious, but they are a great way of adding hidden fruits to your breakfast or dessert if your little ones are a little bit picky. Most households probably have that one banana in a fruit bowl that they don’t want to eat because it's gone a little squishy, don’t worry it will work perfectly in these pancakes.
Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 people
- 1 large banana
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 punnet of blueberries
- Toppings of your choice
You might also want to read:
- Peel the skin off your banana, add it to a bowl and mash it up. Once the banana is mashed, crack your egg in and mix.
- Once you have mixed your banana and egg together, mix in your flour and baking powder.
- If you love blueberries, you can add them to your mixture before you start cooking them to make blueberry pancakes, or you could replace them with a fruit like raspberries.
- Add a tablespoon of pancake mixture to your heated pan, once your pancake is golden brown on one side, flip it over to cook the other side.
- Once you have cooked all your pancakes, you should be left with lots of mini-pancakes to enjoy.
- Again you can top your pancakes with anything you fancy!
Let us know in the comment section how you did 🍋